The 10 Commandments as edited by Jesus
1) You shall have no other gods before Me. – Exodus 20 verse 3
YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF. – Mark 12:31
There is no other commandment greater than these.
2) You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. You shall not worship them or serve them – Exodus 20 verse 4-5
3) You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain – Exodus 20 verse 7
4) Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. – Exodus 20 verse 7
5) Honor your father and your mother – Exodus 20 verse 12
6) You shall not murder. – Exodus 20 verse 13
But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court;
and whoever says to his brother, ‘You good-for-nothing,’ shall be guilty before the supreme court;
and whoever says, ‘You fool,’ shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.
Therefore if you are presenting your offering at the altar,
and there remember that your brother has something against you,
leave your offering there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother,
and then come and present your offering.
Make friends quickly with your opponent at law while you are with him on the way,
so that your opponent may not hand you over to the judge,
and the judge to the officer, and you be thrown into prison.
Truly I say to you, you will not come out of there until you have paid up the last cent. – Matthew 5:21-26
7) You shall not commit adultery. – Exodus 20 verse 14
but I say to you, that everyone who looks on a woman to lust for her has committed adultery with her already in his heart. – Matthew 5:28
And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.
– Matthew 19:9
8) You shall not steal. – Exodus 20 verse 15
Your riches have rotted and your garments have become moth-eaten. Your gold and your silver have rusted; and their rust will be a witness against you and will consume your flesh like fire. It is in the last days that you have stored up your treasure! Behold, the pay of the laborers who mowed your fields, and which has been withheld by you, cries out against you; and the outcry of those who did the harvesting has reached the ears of the Lord of Hosts. You have lived luxuriously on the earth and led a life of wanton pleasure; you have fattened your hearts in a day of slaughter. – James 5:2-5
9) You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. – Exodus 20 verse 16
10) You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife or his male servant or his female servant or his ox or his donkey or anything that belongs to your neighbor. (Theft and Adultery in the heart)
– Exodus 20 verse 17
Bible text relating to the 10th commandment
1 Chronicles 29:17
Since I know, O my God, that Thou triest the heart and delightest in uprightness, I, in the integrity of my heart, have willingly offered all these things; so now with joy I have seen Thy people, who are present here, make their offerings willingly to Thee.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
All the ways of a man are clean in his own sight, But the LORD weighs the motives.
“I, the LORD, search the heart, I test the mind, Even to give to each man according to his ways, According to the results of his deeds.
1 Kings 8:39
then hear in heaven Your dwelling place, and forgive and act and render to each according to all his ways, whose heart You know, for You alone know the hearts of all the sons of men,
But You know me, O LORD; You see me; And You examine my heart’s attitude toward You Drag them off like sheep for the slaughter And set them apart for a day of carnage!
1 Chronicles 28:9
“As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a whole heart and a willing mind; for the LORD searches all hearts, and understands every intent of the thoughts If you seek Him, He will let you find Him; but if you forsake Him, He will reject you forever.
Would not God find this out? For He knows the secrets of the heart.
1 Samuel 16:7
But the LORD said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.”
The 10 Commandments as edited by Jesus